On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:13:07 +0200
Mark Rotteveel <m...@lawinegevaar.nl> wrote:

> On 21-10-2020 12:50, Paul Reeves wrote:
> > The new packages are now in the pre-release area. I've bumped the package
> > number, so the previous URLs will probably no longer work. But I think
> > this is necessary to help anyone who has already downloaded the packages
> > that did not contain the employee db.
>
> The Firebird server reports itself as version 3.0.7.33374, not
> 3.0.7.33374-1. Is that intentional?

Yes - all the filenames of the windows packages have been in this format
since, well, almost forever:

  majorver.minorver.rel.buildno-packageno

majorver.minorver.rel.buildno is a part of the build process and this version
numbering system is embedded in each binary.

'-packageno' is only a part of the packaging process. It is largely cosmetic,
and makes it easier and quicker to distinguish the two packages. And, iirc,
the installer will see the package number too so it will know to upgrade if
the earlier package had already been installed.

> Based on a bug reported in 2018 for Jaybird[1] with parsing version numbers
> for a macOS build (2.5.8.27089-1), I expected the build to report itself as
> 3.0.7.33374-1.

I guess the mac builds have different rules.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves
http://www.ibphoenix.com