On 1/20/21 3:41 PM, Vlad Khorsun wrote:
Hi, all

  I'll speak about new table RDB$CONFIG introduced with implementation of CORE-3708.

  The field RDB$CONFIG_NAME has datatype defined as VARCHAR(63) CHARACTER SET UTF8.
The original reasons behind this choice was:
- UTF8 as charset for most system defined fields,
- VARCHAR(63) to not occupy too much space and to be compatible with SQL identifier
  max length.

  Today we discussed these reasons with Dmitry and agreed that it is not very convincing. For example, we have no intention to have non-ASCII names of settings in firebird.conf
and 63 characters could be not enough at some day.

  So, the question is - should be change this definition and, if yes, what it should be ?
I can think about VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET ASCII, for example.

  More opinions ?

63 symbols not enough for configuration parameter name? You are kidding :-)

I suppose VARCHAR(63) CHARACTER SET ASCII is OK.