On 2/2/21 12:16 PM, Paul Reeves wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 11:32:42 +0300
Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel <firebird-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

On 2/1/21 10:24 PM, marius adrian popa wrote:
My guess old cpus or installs

Example got laptop with Windows 10 32 that is still supported by >
Microsoft also have an old laptop with Ubuntu 32bit also another old >
raspberry pi that is 32 bit only
I doubt all that list is worth having _new_ versions 32 bit.

Presumably the original question implied x86 rather than 32-bit in general.

I doubt that our user base for 32-bit ARM is really very significant but
32-bit ARM chips probably have a good future ahead of them.

Not sure. I visited eShop - only 46 cheap-most phones of 616 have 32-bit CPUs. And they use chips developed in 2014. All the rest are at least Cortex-A53.

32-bit x86 chips
seem to largely have gone the way of 16-bit x86.

Exactly.

I certainly ask myself the question about x86 quite frequently. I can see a
reason for maintaining support in the code base but I find it hard to justify
producing official x86 binaries for new versions of Firebird.

Yes. I just want to make clean what do we mean under 'new versions'.

On my mind version 3 that already had 32-bit binaries for a long time should continue providing them in maintaness releases. Post-4 version (still not sure 4.1, 5.0 - but it does not matter now) has absolutely no reasons to support 32-bit HW (at least x86, but sooner of all no armv7a too). I'm unsure what to do with FB4. We used to publish 32-bit binaries for beta & rc - i.e. looks like they should be in release too but I see no other reason why should they be in release...