Hi again Jim, and thanks for your replies - it's interesting reading about the
history of MVCC inter alia - see below.

Your answers bring up a couple of questions though.

> One day I was driving down Route 3 in Manchester, New Hampshire, that
> rather than keeping multiple page images, I could keep multiple record
> versions, hopefully on the same page, and with clever bookkeeping have
> individual transactions keep track of which of server record versions it
> should see. So it solved concurrency control, transaction backout,
> garbage collection, and database restart without journalling.

Q.1) If MVCC doesn't require jounalling, then why does Interbase now tout the
fact that it has a Write Ahead Log (WAL - which I assume is a synonym for
journalling)?

From the page  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterBase):

> RESILIENT
> Live Backups
> Distinguished Data Dumps
> Write-Ahead Logging       <<--------**
> Point-in-Time Recovery

Oracle and MySQL (InnoDB engine) use MVCC and have Redo logs - which (at least
AFAICS) are a WAL by another name.

Refs:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18283_01/server.112/e17120/onlineredo001.htm

https://dev.mysql.com/blog-archive/mysql-8-0-new-lock-free-scalable-wal-design/

And, in another reply, there's this:

> For what it's worth, David Reed's dissertation was on a
> non-transactional distributed directory system.  Bernstein and Goodman's
> book "proved" that MVCC was serializable, which it most definitely was not.

Q.2) How then do the various MVCC systems implement SERIALIZABLE?

It's quite a confusing topic - there's an excellent article (which I haven't
fully digested yet) here:

https://medium.com/paypal-tech/think-twice-before-dropping-acid-and-throw-your-cap-away-dbe0d6171dc0https://medium.com/paypal-tech/think-twice-before-dropping-acid-and-throw-your-cap-away-dbe0d6171dc0

which appears to imply that none of the major systems have a true SERIALIZABLE
transaction isolation level?

Thanks to anyone for any input.

Best and regards,

Pól...