Hi,

Dne 09. 08. 22 v 17:02 Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel napsal(a):
*Pavel & Pavel!*

I understand you have some problems with testing system due to unablity to create self-security database remotely. But I do not understand how could as solution be suggested not to check credetioals at all, i.e. let everyone create databases. That's like let everyone atach to server and enter SYSDBA password when security database failed to proper initialize at install phaze for some reason. We used to fight for FB security for many years (almost twenty) and it's very strange for me to here such suggestions. We added special privilege for create database in order to avoid creation of databases by regular users. And after it suggestion to let do it everyone - at least for some databases...

I did not suggested to do not authenticate user! My question was why user has to be authenticated AGAINST YET TO BE CREATED database. It simply doesn't make sense at all for me. I would expect that for create database, the user would be authenticated in the same way as for attachment to service manager. The reason is that user does not need to have any prior valid attachment to call create database, so credentials passed for create database should be used to verify that such database could be created for that user, but not the database specification itself! It should be used for connection to created database, but not for creation. It's IMHO illogical that setting for not yet created database are used to do that (which fails when created db is self-security) instead default security database. The creation of self-security db via local (i.e. bypass of authentication check) is IMHO a hackish workaround that beats the purpose of security, because self-security databases could NOT be ever created in insecure way.

I can think about letting user, authenticated in default security database with appr.privileges, create self-security databases remotely. But definitely not what was suggested.

Yes, that was suggested, just probably wrongly worded. I though that when referencing that right to create database should be checked in the same way as attachment to service manager (which does not use some database reference passed by user to decide which security db to use) instead database that does not exists yet is quite clear.

best regards
Pavel