From: Jiri Cincura [mailto:disk...@cincura.net]
Sent: mercredi 5 juin 2013 15:47
To: For users and developers of the Firebird .NET providers
Subject: [Firebird-net-provider] Checking database existence

Hi *,

I was recently rethinking some stuff we do (or not) support for Entity
Framework. One think we don't support is checking database existence
(migrations, initializers, ...). I know the API itself doesn't support
it, but as I checked how other tools and products are solving it it's
basically always just trying to pen the connection. if it fails it
supposes the database does not exists. I also found and idea to try to
create the database (without rewriting). There are, for both, cases
when it can fail and hence returning false even it the database
actually does exist - like not having enough permission (from top of
my head).

What do you think? Do you think it's a good idea to add support like
this? And if so what's better approach. Try to connect or try to
create? Where do you see all the false negatives? Are these
acceptable?

--
Jiri {x2} Cincura (x2develop.com founder)
http://blog.cincura.net/ | http://www.ID3renamer.com