I use firebird heavily in sports betting solution, with many simultaneous
connections, in desktop environment, web services and virtually everywhere.
Current deployed version is 2.6.0.0, 3.5 build. No major problems here at
all.
Polling with default value,and  for events no polling.
Since DB is hit all the time, i guess it polls constantly.
I have not investigated details about possible leaks.