On 2012-11-27, at 7:27 AM, Peter Stalpers wrote:
> 1. The department bought an application for preparing pharmaceutical
> medication and this application only supports Firebird as its backend
> database.
> 2. The department also bought logistcal module and this application only
> supports Progress as its backend database.
> 3. The department also bought an electronic prescription system and this
> application only supports a SQL-2005/2008 database.
>
> And at last I got the question to combine its data.

This is the common case, not the uncommon one. ODBC is perfect for this,
although as of late it has not seen the level of attention I think it deserves.
I do find it somewhat amusing (ironic?) that this lack of attention stems
primarily from MS, who basically invented it. They have shiny new data access
methods to play with.

So, my suggestion is to use MS Access as your primary tool to attack this
problem. Not in the normal sense of "how one should use Access", but strictly
as a forms system and container for VBA. I find using VBA within Access to do
ODBC considerably easier than any other tool, say VB or any of the .net
languages. The only real downside to Access is that it tends to be rare in many
enterprises, and it tends to crash - without data loss however.

Any similar tool will work just as well, and may be more easily redistributed.
If such a thing exists, I haven't found it yet.

Maury