I refreshed the package and it looks like the memory leak is almost gone. I can
observe that the number of EventBlock’s left in memory are equal to the count
of errors raised with the invoke of begin() (namely one of: unknown ISC error
0, error reading from connection, error writing to connection).

So there’s still a troublesome execution path left and it took some time until
I had wrapped my head around it. According to the stack trace the exception is
thrown in the constructor of EventBlock:

  File "dbEvents.py", line 103, in run
    event_listener.begin()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\fdb-1.4.3-py2.7.egg\fdb\fbcore.py", line
1844, in begin
    self.__event_blocks.append(EventBlock(self.__queue, self._db_handle,
block_events))
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\fdb-1.4.3-py2.7.egg\fdb\fbcore.py", line
1732, in __init__
    self.__wait_for_events()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\fdb-1.4.3-py2.7.egg\fdb\fbcore.py", line
1741, in __wait_for_events
    "Error while waiting for events:")
DatabaseError: ('Error while waiting for events:\n- SQLCODE: -902\n- Error
reading data from the connection.', -902, 335544726)

That would be right here where the EventBlock should be appended to the list of
event blocks:

        for block_events in self.__blocks:
            self.__event_blocks.append(EventBlock(self.__queue,
self._db_handle, block_events))

But like this an initialized and broken EventBlock is never appended to the
__event_blocks list and therefore EventBlock.close() is never invoked. ☹