Hello Myles,

Switch to 1.5.6 Classic, set in firebird.conf
DefaultDbCachePages = 512 and you'll see the difference which should be
enough.

Regarding migration - look at Profitmed migration case study
http://www.slideshare.net/ibsurgeon/firebird-migration-from-firebird-15-to-firebird-25

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin
IBsurgeon