Hello Friends,

We have been using Firebird since v. 1.5 on Linux as well on windows
for Delphi application running on Win and server on Lin/Win as per
needs in Lan environment. Now Client wants to have centralized
database with two way Replication at HO. The branch database size
varies from 200MB to 1.2GB and estimated combined database will be
about 10GB to 15GB. On centralized database except replication
connections (which will be Batch running as per Branch convenience and
not real time) there will be 10 to 15 users always connected plus a
small web application may have 30 to 40 simultaneous users as a
primary estimate and may be on higher side. As far as Branches are
concerned we are very happy with performance and Stability of database
not a single instance of any data corruptions have been noticed in
last 7 to 8 years inspite of very rough usage by Branch users so
client wants to stick to FB at Branches for sure. But for centralized
database they have doubt that whether it will sustain the volume of 10
to 15 GB and how it will perform and have given indication that they
can Try first FB and if it fails they can go for some other Commercial
Database. As far as we are concerned we would like to stick to FB but
our confidence level is low since we dont have any experience of FB
stability and performance on such large database. To make FB
successful in this scenario please guide w.r.t. Following queries.

1. Whether FB 2.1 SS / FB 2.5 ??  on 64 bit Linux (Kubuntu) will be
able to handle 15GB database ?
2. What version should be selected FB 2.1, 2.5 and which architecture?
3. What precautions should we take like Processor, RAM, Linux FS
selection etc. etc. so that FB  will run with maximum efficiency and
stability.

Thanks and warm regards.

R. S. Patil.