We have a 5GB Database FB2.5 Win2008 Server 4 Core M/C, 143 tables, problem
with table INV 48K Records

When everyone logs off and then log on, access to INV is slow for the last 7K
Records. If we fetch all, it takes forever, but eventually can log off and log
on again and all is ok. Same is OK if we set all indexes ACTIVE (takes 4 hours
for this table), or do a backup. Also if we sweep. this takes the same or more
time.

Questions:

If we backup and restore the database is like new? data exported and then
reloaded into a copied schema? This seems to work.

Can sweep occur if the database has connections, but no activity? If it did,
then we would not get all the sweep operations stacked up.

Why does sweep (or the slow backup) take so long and if so, why is there no cpu
load? I would have thought that the CPU would have been busy.

In the app - one transaction and all datasets/queries/procedures are
commitretaining.

And, and why always this table - treated much the same as other tables.

Are there special settings for the database connection? and how can we know
that this might happen (so we could backup and restore before the last user
logged out)?

Lawrence