At 05:34 AM 18/09/2012, John Wilk wrote:
>Hi all I have a client who has software wich runs a test in which the software
>collects data.  What my client would like to do is be able to store each
>test's data in an independent database located on a network share.

Not on a network share...that is not supported by Firebird for read/write
databases.  Firebird server is a database management system that lives on a
host server and manages one or more databases on the same physical host.
Clients, such as your data-collecting application, attach to a database across
a network, using a network protocol.

In theory, there's no reason why each test couldn't have its own database.  In
practice, why should that be necessary?  What is special about the
requirements, that sets of results need to be isolated from one another?  Does
your customer understand the differences between a table and a database?  Does
[s]he really want to be administering multiple databases unnecessarily?

> This is a little beyound me and something I had never really thought about if
> anyone has any info or suggestions where I could look for info.

It's not clear whether you are already a database developer yourself.  If you
haven't worked with client/server systems before, a good place to start would
be the Quick Start Guide for the version of Firebird that you are using.  You
can find it in the \doc\ directory of a standard Firebird server installation;
otherwise you can pick it up from the documentation pages at the Firebird
website.

My books (latest version The Firebird Book Second Edition)  devote quite a lot
of space to explaining how the various client/server models work.  If you feel
you need that, visit http://www.ibphoenix.com/products/books/firebird_book and
consider buying the Developer DVD, on which it is distributed.

./heLen