On 4-1-2014 19:22, dice_in_trou...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I would like to host my firebird database on a provider, but don't have
> an idea on where to start. We currently have a firebird database in
> which is connected via lan. As our company grows, so its needs. We plan
> to expand on another branch which will be located on a different site,
> and we plan to have a website so that we can access our database from
> one branch to another. I tried searching for providers which can host my
> database, but failed to find one. I was also thinking of hosting it on
> our own server but don't know where to start also.

You are not very explicit about how you need to access the database: do
you need access to the database directly or only through the web
application. Do you currently already have such a web application, or
would it need to be developed first?

You should consider to investigate virtualizing the LAN (using VPN) for
the branches, so that the branches share the same - virtual - LAN, this
virtual LAN can extend to server hosted in a datacenter elsewhere(!).

Hosting on a publicly accessible host comes with a set of security
considerations that you don't have if the application (and database) are
hosted internally inside your LAN.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel