Thanks a lot for your answer Dimitry,

> your "problem" is versions, because index keep all keys for all
> versions. If you have active transactions, garbage collection
> does not work, and obsolete keys and versions are not cleaned.
> Check gstat -r to see how many versions tables have when you have
> performance problems.

> Dmitry Kuzmenko, www.ib-aid.com<http://www.ib-aid.com>

As I said, I don't have active transactions, this is why I thought the old
versions should not be read by my query.  I did the gstat and it sure shows
something is wrong with my index (it has 2666 more nodes than the actual data
(and other indices) on the other hand it has only a 10 versions in total) but I
do not see how I can fix this.  Maybe I could run a sweep (automatic sweep are
deactivated but based on firebirdsql documentation it shouldn't be a problem
since we backup every night) ... but it kinds of freeze everything while it
runs.  And I'm not even sure it explains it reads 1080 old record versions on
some queries.

Oldest transaction      5018404

Oldest active           134077480 = Oldest snapshot         134077480

Next transaction        134077481

Evelyne