Maury Markowitz wrote:

> But wait... what about...
>
> ALTER DATABASE END BACKUP
>
> If I am reading it correctly, this appears to do the same thing as nbackup
> -N. Is that correct?

That is correct, but in order to issue that command you must connect to
the database as SYSDBA or owner.

 From your earlier postings, I gather that in May 2013 nbackup failed to
complete, so the main database file has been frozen for 8 months, and
all the changes since May 2013 have accumulated in the delta.

User GONE doesn't seem to be the owner, and you don't know the SYSDBA
password. The fact that it isn't "masterkey" makes sense: either the
installer generated a random password, or the password was left at
"masterkey". In the latter case, any database administrator in his right
mind would immediately change it to something else.

Why don't you contact the administrator of the system in question? After
all, *someone* should know the SYSDBA password, shouldn't they? And how
about the scripts that executed nbackup until they went broken last May?
Do you have read access to them? What authentication method did they
use? And if you can't access those scripts, who can?

Kind regards,
Paul Vinkenoog