Paul,

IMHO, the major reason for the "decreasing passion" is the (too) long
periods of apparent "no activity" that we have between each FB
official release. People just get "bored". A new release coming out
creates a general "hype" making people excited, feeling that the
product is alive and moving forward, and making them curious about the
news. With a new release, people have new features to use and to talk
about, and the "heat" brings together passion and more action in the
forums, lists, sites (new articles being written/posted), tools, etc.

For the view of most users, who don't follow fb-devel, or do not
care about checking the SVN commits, etc, the Project is frozen since
the release of FB 2.5 (+3 years ago, yes - I'm not counting bugfixes
releases).

In a epoch where you get browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc) getting major
releases several times a year, Delphi getting at last one major
release by year and so on, having to wait 4 years for a new major
release probably deviates people attention (and passion) to other things.

PS: I know our core-developers never stopped working, and that the
internal FB 3 changes are heavy and complex, but "standard" users
are not aware of this.

Btw, probably this went off-topic, so feel free to move the talk to
another list or to a private chat.

[]s
Carlos
Firebird Performance in Detail - http://videos.firebirddevelopersday.com
www.firebirdnews.org - www.FireBase.com.br

PV> Hello Carlos,

>> This LinuxQuestions poll is even "worse" in such aspect, since not everyone
>> uses FB on Linux, and even when they use, most people don't wanna waste 5
>> minutes registering to a site they will not use, just to be able to vote por
>> FB. I would say that in the past, Firebird users were more passionate about
>> the product. Unfortunately, this seems to not be true anymore (and I could
>> list some possible reasons for that).

PV> What are they, in your opinion? Maybe we should discuss this in
PV> Firebird-general. I, too, have the impression that we used to have
PV> more momentum in the past, but maybe that's just me: back then I
PV> had much more time, so I contributed more to Firebird, followed all the
newsgroups, etc.