> On Jul 29, 2014, at 12:26 AM, "brucedickin...@wp.pl [firebird-support]"
> <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> I haven't thought about scanning all the rows with SELECT after DELETE but it
> might be something. Perhaps FB 3.0 will help us with this.

Doing the select in the same transaction as the delete won't help.  The delete
has created a bunch of deleted stub records, leaving in place the last real
version of the record and any back versions that other transactions require.
All that stays in place for the duration of your transaction, just in case the
transaction actually fails.  Once the transaction that did the delete  and all
its contemporaries have ended, the stubs and old record versions are ready to
be removed, but not before then.

V3 probably won't change that significantly, but it may allow you to switch
from Classic to a single multi-threaded server and use a garbage collect thread
rather than cooperative garbage collection.

Good luck,

Ann

  • [firebird-supp... brucedickin...@wp.pl [firebird-support]
    • Re: [fire... Tim Ward t...@telensa.com [firebird-support]