Hi Nick,

> I have a system that is slowing down the longer it stays running and I'd like
> to know why.
>
> Is there any evidence I can gather before I reboot the system which I expect
> (from past experience) will return the system to the better performance

Hmmm....   If rebooting will solve the problem and you don't have a very long
running transaction, then I doubt that garbage accumulation or collection is
the source of the problem.
Nor is there anything else wrong with your physical database - fragmentation or
whatever.
I'd look at memory usage - using both Firebird and OS tools.  Look for paging
before you reboot.
After you reboot, track memory usage daily or more often.   It doesn't take
much of a leak - or unfortunate caching - to built up over month of 27 tps.

Accelerating the move to 2.5.4 would also be a good idea, both because it may
correct the problem and because it probably offers better diagnostic tools for
this sort of problem.

Good luck,

Ann
  • ... Nick Upson n...@telensa.com [firebird-support]