On Aug 28, 2015, at 2:40 AM, Macma mac...@wp.pl [firebird-support]
<firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> My biggest concern was that after restore form Veeam backup firebird
> database file could be damage. If not there is nothing I can worry
> about. I'm just want to be sure that when someone restore full vmdk file
> my system will work and survive such operation.

Unless Veeam works some magic that stops writes to the database while it makes
its copy, there is a risk that the copy will not reflect the state of the
database at any one instant.  Firebird's careful write guarantees that at any
instant the database is correct, so it will survive a server, file system, or
O/S crash.

You can use gbak and ask Veeam to backup only the backup file.  You can stop
the database before the backup starts.  You can ask for a call that blocks
updates while the backup is being done.  You could probably pay for a feature
to redirect writes to a sequential file to be applied to the database after the
backup.  I think using Nbak won't work because (IIRC) it stores its page images
in a random access file, so the page image file will have the same problem as
the database when copied block by block.

Good luck,

Ann

  • [firebird-supp... Macma mac...@wp.pl [firebird-support]
    • RE: [fire... 'Leyne, Sean' s...@broadviewsoftware.com [firebird-support]