Well, with all transaction numbers within a few hundred of each other

    Oldest transaction    391428664
    Oldest active        391428665
    Oldest snapshot        391428665
    Next transaction    391429145

it isn't noticeably better

   Elapsed time= 0.01 sec
   Buffers = 150
   Reads = 212
   Writes 0
   Fetches = 546

so that doesn't look like the explanation ...

On 09/09/2015 13:13, Nick Upson n...@telensa.com [firebird-support] wrote:
without a "where" clause firebird has to read the entire table (to determine if each row is valid for the current transaction) and sort the results

Nick Upson, Telensa Ltd, Senior Operations Network Engineer
direct +44 (0) 1799 533252, support hotline +44 (0) 1799 399200