Hi-

 I have 2 questions from the code below.
 Where do you come up with RDB$FIELD_NAME?
 Is FIELDNAME part THE NAME OF A FIELD IN an actual TABLE AND
 RELATION_FIELDS THE NAME OF A REAL TABLE?

 How can you use :RNAME IN THE WHERE clause?
 Where is it getting its value from? It seems like it is just a variable
 in psql without being assigned a value.

 I am doing a little reading of psql, but I am going to take a break
 for a while. It is a nice day out. Not too many more before fall/winter
 set in.

 thx for any assistance - jim
 AS
    DECLARE RNAME CHAR(31)
    DECLARE FNAME CHAR(31)
    DECLARE C CURSOR FOR
 (SELECT RDB$FIELD_NAME FROM RDB$RELATION_FIELDS
 WHERE RDB$RELATION_NAME = :RNAME
 ORDER BY...);

 SELECT
 INTO :RNAME DO
 BEGIN
 OPEN C;
 END
 END

 partial example found in cursor section of helen borriie's psql book.