On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:42 AM, 'Moessinger, Semjon' s.moessin...@pi.ws
[firebird-support] <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> My main intend is to add some version information to a firebird database
> file, since I will use firebird as embedded database and installers/update
> mechanism will need this information.

Not a great idea.  Unusual, imaginative, but probably catastrophic.  When
Firebird needs to add more data, it will append some number of blocks to
the end of the file.  I don't remember the algorithm exactly, but the space
will be some number of disk blocks that work out to full pages.  On a good
day, your information will be overwritten.  On a bad day, the allocation
will fail or become misaligned and make the database unusable.

> The information should be available platform independent and I would
> prefer a solution not needing any database access.

Maybe distribute a separate file?

Good luck,

Ann

  • [firebi... 'Moessinger, Semjon' s.moessin...@pi.ws [firebird-support]