On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Caroline Beltran
caroline.d.belt...@gmail.com [firebird-support] <
firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Since I began using Firebird, I have kept my transactions (type
> concurrency) very short and then call COMMIT immediately afterward.  This
> has worked very well.

Good, but that too can be overdone.  Each transaction start causes a change
to the header page and end causes changed pages including a transaction
inventory page to be written to disk.  There's some grouping of writes, but
as a rule, think that each transaction you create causes two extra page
writes beyond the data and indexes.

> I recently had the need to perform more complex processing and what I did
> was to keep everything short and modular.  I am updating different parts of
> the same record repeatedly and I believe that this is causing multiple back
> versions which causing excessive disk write I/O and slowing things down
> terribly:
>

> a) begin a transaction, update FIELD_1 of MYTABLE, COMMIT, and end
> transaction.
> b) begin a transaction, update FIELD_2 of MYTABLE, COMMIT, and end
> transaction.
> c) begin a transaction, update FIELD_3 of MYTABLE, COMMIT, and end
> transaction.
> d) begin a transaction, update FIELD_4 of MYTABLE, COMMIT, and end
> transaction.
> e) begin a transaction, update FIELD_5 of MYTABLE, COMMIT, and end
> transaction.

There are several problems with this.  One is the significant transaction
overhead you introduce. A second, as you've guessed is that you're creating
a back version for each update.   Another is that any transaction reading
your record between updates will see some field that have been changed and
others that haven't.  Another, and not insignificant, is the danger that
some other transaction will change your part or all of a record between
your transactions, leaving the record inconsistent.

> Of course, I normally update all fields in one transaction but in this
> particular case, determining the contents of each field is a complex
> process that requires manipulation and analysis of the the data provided by
> a number of other Firebird SELECT queries to the database.
>
> I am averaging about 300 transactions per minute during this process that
> may last 12 hours and during that time, things get terribly slow.

 Probably some information from the monitoring tables will let someone else
give you good advice.

> So can someone confirm my suspicions, will each of the 5 transactions
> above to the same row of data cause 5 new 'back versions'?

Absolutely.

> Like I said, I have always kept transactions very short.  I am thinking of
> something like this instead:
>
> a) begin a transaction, update FIELD_1 of MYTABLE.
> b) update FIELD_2 of MYTABLE.
> c) update FIELD_3 of MYTABLE.
> d) update FIELD_4 of MYTABLE.
> e) update FIELD_5 of MYTABLE, COMMIT, and end transaction.
> If something fails anywhere in between, I would ROLLBACK this single
> transaction.

That's not going to work either.  Your first update will create a back
version that's just the difference between the old record state and the new
state.  The second (or maybe third) will create a back version that's the
whole record (IIRC) - much larger and possibly off page. Off page matters
because it doubles the page writes.

> Keeping my transactions shorter and more modular as above is easier from a
> development point of view but I have the back version performance issue.
> Although the second method means a much longer transaction, I won't have
> back versions to deal with.  Do you think that this approach would be
> better?

No, just do all the computations in a single transaction and update the
record once with all the changes.

> P.S.  Sweeping the database does not help with the performance problem,
> the only temporary solution to regain performance is to backup using GBAK
> and restore.

That's why I suspect there's more to it than just back versions and would
like to see something about I/O, reads, writes, fetches, marks, etc.

Good luck,

Ann

  • [firebird... Caroline Beltran caroline.d.belt...@gmail.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: ... Ann Harrison aharri...@ibphoenix.com [firebird-support]