Hello Dmitry,

>>> I understood you as that regular gbak does not work when the database is
>>> in use, so now you try the -se switch.
>>
>> That is correct, but as you can see, using -se resulted in an error.
>
>So what was the error using gbak without -se? And what was the command
>line you used?

When connected to the database from another application, here:
C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0>gbak -b -m -t  -v
  -user sysdba -pas masterkey
  "e:\temp\2014 FB Conference.fdb" "e:\temp\2014 FB Conference.bak"
gbak: ERROR:I/O error during "CreateFile (open)" operation for file
"E:\TEMP\201
4 FB CONFERENCE.FDB"
gbak: ERROR:    Error while trying to open file
gbak: ERROR:    The process cannot access the file because it is being used
by a
nother process.
gbak:Exiting before completion due to errors

Now, when NOT connected from another application, the above command
runs just fine.

>> where does the docs say to use the host before 'service_mgr' instead of
>> the (source) database string?
>
>InterBase API Guide, page 202.

I have to look in the >>API guide<< for using a command line tool?

Here's where I looked (which is what Google pointed me to)
http://firebirdsql.org/manual/gbak-cmdline.html#gbak-cmdline-backup

>>> Did you try using filenames without embedded spaces (and thus without
>>> quotes)?
>
>> No, cause the database name contains spaces ;)
>
>Is it too hard to rename it? I'm trying to reduce the possible reasons
>but you insist.

OK, tried that. Connected to the renamed database from another application,
ran this statement:

C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0>gbak -b -m -t
  -se martijn-ws-dev/3054:service_mgr
  -v -user sysdba -pas masterkey
  "e:\temp\2014_FB_Conference.fdb"
  "e:\temp\2014_FB_Conference.bak"

(still used quotes, changed spaces into underscores)

It ran just fine.

>> Could that be the cause of the multiple sources/destinations error? If
>> so,
>> I'll take it this is a parsing error in gbak?
>
>It could be, but it should be proved.

See above. Strangely enough, it fails when using -se, but not without
using -se.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions