Geoff,

> I am curious as to why you are using dialect 1 on an FB3 database.
>
> Back when Interbase 6 was released the 1999 language reference said:
> "Dialect 1 exists to ease the migration of legacy databases."

Did IB 6 actually get released?

My own memory has IB 6 in beta when Inprise open-sourced the entire thing...
IB 6 was finally released but only sometime after Firebird project was started
in 2000 and Inprise changed their mind about the whole open-source thing.

> More currently, the FirebirdSQL website ( http://firebirdsql.org/manual/isql-
> dialects.html ) says:
>
> "Currently it is possible to create databases in Dialect 1 and 3 only,
> however it
> is recommended that you use Dialect 3 exclusively, since Dialect 1 will
> eventually be deprecated. Dialect 2 cannot be used to create a database
> since it only serves to convert Dialect 1 to Dialect 3."  [the highlighting
> is mine]

In our case, having started using IB v4.x, we have been locked-in to dialect 1
and we are using v2.5 (looking at v3.x).

The most significant issue with dialect 3 is the "stupid" interpretation that
Inprise made of the SQL standard when it comes for handling of precision in
math operations -- our application had way too many processes that expected the
dialect 1 handling/treatment that the cost of "re-tooling" and testing was much
too high.

IMO, the dialect 3 math precision handling is so bad, that if I had to make a
fresh choice today, I would still choose dialect 1.  So, personally, I don't
blame anyone for making the same choice.

We are hoping that Firebird will adopt more "logical/appropriate" rules for
dialect 3, there has been talk of same.  Until then, we will keep using dialect
1 for as long as possible.

Sean

  • [firebird-s... jonatan.laurit...@yahoo.dk [firebird-support]
    • [fireb... jonatan.laurit...@yahoo.dk [firebird-support]