Hi,

I just needed to do a full outer join between two very simple tables G and N, each with a single-column PK of identical type char(12). I noticed that the plan produces was:

PLAN JOIN (N NATURAL, G NATURAL)

I stopped the query after ~5 minutes. Then I thought I can do this calculation in two steps, so I did a left outer join from G to N first, then a left outer join from N to G (equivalent to a right outer join from G to N). These queries were executed with these plans:

PLAN JOIN (G NATURAL, N INDEX (PK_N))
PLAN JOIN (N NATURAL, G INDEX (PK_G))

They both executed in less than half a minute each.

Now, I was wondering why the full outer join can't do a left join using the right table's PK and then a right join using the other table's PK. This is essentially what I did with the latter two queries.

The full join operation seems to do something that's a lot less efficient (whatever it is that it does).

I'm still on FB 2.5.2, so... has this been improved in 3.0?

Thanks,
Kjell
--

Marknadsinformation logotyp