Mark,

    thanks for your answer.

    One question related to changing SYSDBA password for the first time without using gsec.

    I noticed that, as you have no other database than security3.fdb, you must connect to it, but for doing so you can't use remote connections ( not even localhost ) and, as you access directly to the database file, you must run isql-fb as root. Also you need to stop the service in order to have exclusive access to the database file.

    So you must follow the following steps ( Ubuntu 18.04 )

sudo service firebird3.0 stop

sudo isql-fb -user sysdba -password xxxx security.db

SQL> alter user sysdba set password 'yyyy';

SQL> exit;

sudo service firebird3.0 start

Is this sequence of steps correct ?

Thanks,

Aldo

El 12/07/18 a las 15:37, Mark Rotteveel m...@lawinegevaar.nl [firebird-support] escribió:

On 12-7-2018 16:24, Aldo Caruso aldo.car...@argencasas.com
[firebird-support] wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     The gsec utility still exists in Firebird 3.0.2 ( Ubuntu 18.04
> distribution ), although its man page states that it is deprecated.
>     I tested it and works. I have some scripts that use it in order to
> add users.
>     Is it still reliable to use it or should I have to rewrite those
> scripts invoking isql-fb with the new command "create user" ?

Deprecated doesn't mean it doesn't work, it means that it is advisable
to stop using it and that it is may be removed in a future.

In other words: you can use it, but you should consider moving to SQL
user management so you don't run into problems when gsec is removed.

One of the downsides of gsec is that it doesn't have support for
multiple user managers, so you can only use the user manager that is
first in the configured list. It also doesn't support some of the newer
features (like user tags). I believe there are some more downsides, but
I can't readily think of them.

Also consider this: dialect 1 has been deprecated since InterBase 6 back
at the turn of the century, and yet Firebird still supports it...

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

    • Re: [firebi... Aldo Caruso aldo.car...@argencasas.com [firebird-support]