Haha, no problem, glad I could help :)

I have noticed a couple of gotchas to watch out for with this feature though…

You can have different groups/users mapped to different roles, but if a user
matches multiple mappings the connection will fail:
PS C:\Users\PGMRSD1> c:\apps\firebird\isql.exe localhost/3051:inca
Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 08004
Multiple maps found for FOODSTUFF\APP_INCA_SupportINCA
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
SQL>

It seems to me like it would be all too easy to accidentally lock out users
belonging to multiple groups this way.
Specifying the desired role name when connecting doesn't help.  It also doesn't
help if one of the mapped roles doesn't exist in the database you're connecting
to (ie different roles for same user in different dbs).

Also, we have a system here that regularly backs up databases then restores the
backup to live (I think this was recommended practice way back in the days of
InterBase 5 or 6).
The mappings in our database survive one cycle of this but disappear on the
second cycle (tested using gbak from Firebird 3.0.5).
Changing the backup procedure only hides this issue (if you actually have to
restore a backup then you're halfway there…)

So for now my team is considering these restrictions:

  1.  Only map users, not groups, so as to make mapping conflicts easier to
avoid.  A convention that sets a unique mapping name for each user could help.
  2.  Make all mappings global, so they are not part of db backups.  The
security db could be backed up as is rather than using gbak, and it's also
feasible to store the entire security db setup as an sql script.  Especially
mappings, which don't contain passwords.