Ok this issue is caused by:

1) Firebug dynamic update issues element.innerHTML = html; where html
is your text,
2) Firefox issues onStateChange for the arrival of the first HTML for
the page,
3) Firebug has special case code in onStateChange handler for
about:blank, which triggers our context - creation code (tabWatcher).

I guess this code will all be re-written for Firebug 1.8.

jjb