My company sells a client-server library automation application.  In order
to operate the clients behind a firewall, we require that 1 inbound port
plus one inbound port per client and 250 outbound ports (total) be opened at
the firewall.  The 2 inbound ports are for the logon and control connections
and the outbound ports are to allow for up to 250 concurrent connections to
the server.

Now, here's the rub.  We have a client who believes that the design is
flawed.  In fact his response was why even have a firewall if you have to
open that many ports?  He insists that it is impossible to open that many
ports on his firewall and also that he cannot open a range of ports, only
individual ones.  I am no firewall expert, but this doesn't sound right to
me.  If he wants to allow ftp, he has to open all outbound ports above 1024,
right?  I would assume that other client-server applications also require
opening ports - you can't communicate without them.  Am I missing something
here?  Any enlightenment (or ammunition) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Matthew
-
[To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe firewalls" in the body of the message.]