Subject: [OT] Who can explain this address scheme?
From: Jesus Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:19:00 -0700

Hi All,

I know this is off topic, but you all seem to be experts in IP and routing
in general.
I've received a few e-mails with http links pointing to some unusual
addresses.  It works, but the address is not a standard xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
rather a single string of numbers.
For example, I received an e-mail with a link to this address:
http://3510483697/
It's a website for a hosting service.  But HOW is that possible?  How are
those numbers translated to cobentional addressing schemes, or do they have
to be?
I'm just REALLY curious, and it bugs me that I don't know.

Thanks again in advance!
-
[To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe firewalls" in the body of the message.]