Dear FIS colleagues,

During last five years we have had quite many discussion sessions in a row (for the new parties arrived recently, there are a couple of web sites where messages are systematically archived--see below). As suggested by some discussants, having some long pause was needed --particularly by myself. During this interim, a refurbishing of the web pages has been planned, and also some way to organize the discussion topics, including the formation of a fis board. Well, we will see how things result but, in any case, the list should maintain its peculiar exploratory freedom and spontaneity.

Ideas for next sessions will be very welcome. Preferably, proposed topics have to be accompanied by an invitee external to the list (we need novelty!) acting as a chair of the session and producing the kickoff text, with maybe a fis member accompanying as co-chair.

Fifteen years from now FIS started its public activities. Michael Conrad and me, with the cooperation of Koichiro Matsuno and Tom Stonier, had attempted a conference in Toledo (Spain) for the summer of 1992, and a couple of preparatory newsletters on "foundations of information science" were circulated in photocopies (with curious contributions of people like Ramon Margalef, Gordon Scarrott, Rick Welch, Fernando Carvalho, etc.). Finally, we got our first FIS conference in Madrid in 1993, thanks to the involvement of Fivos Panetsos. And the rest of the story can be followed more or less in scholarly literature and the webs. During these years it was sad that Gordon, Tom, Michael and Ray passed away... great scientists, and great persons.

Well, we are now close to 170 in the list, and a Science of Information Institute promoted by some fis members is almost ready to start public activities. Indeed a reflection on FIS itself would be convenient at the time being, and probably it will take place amongst the next sessions (but freewheeling comments on our enterprise can be posted perfectly during this pause).

Overall, with more than 2700 messages exchanged and half dozen real and e-conferences convened, we have done a pretty intense collective work during all these years. However, it is amazing that the fundamental question of What is Information? has kept its freshness and initial appeal almost intact!

cordial regards

Pedro

http://webmail.unizar.es/pipermail/fis/
http://fis.icts.sbg.ac.at/mailings/