Greetings All,

In my view Œmeaning¹ exists (or not) exclusively within systems.  It exists
to the extent that inputs (incoming information) resonate within the
structure of the system.  The resonance can either reinforce the existing
architecture (confirmation), destabilize it (e.g., cognitive
disequilibrium), or construct new features of the architecture (e.g.,
learning).  Social communication often involves the goal of re-constructing
architectural elements present in the mind of one agent by another agent.  I
am using highly metaphorical language here, but a very straightforward
example of this at the molecular level is the transfer of structural
information between prions and similar proteins folded in Œordinary¹ ways.
In this sense, meaning itself cannot be transferred between agents; although
a new instance of meaning can be constructed.  This is essentially the idea
behind the Dawkins model of populations of memes (concept analogs of genes).

>From this point of view, the Œexactness¹ of a meaning doesn¹t seem to make
sense.  A meaning defines itself without error.  It would make sense,
however, to talk about the degree of similarity between meanings when the
social goal was to replicate a particular instance of meaning.  Perhaps this
is what Jerry meant and I have over-analyzed the idea here, but if this is a
novel or erroneous perspective I would like to see some discussion of it.  I
guess my main point here is to separate the notion of meaningfulness from
the social context that demands the sharing of meanings and constrains the
construction of meanings to resonate at the level of the social network.

Regards,

Guy Hoelzer