Bob-

Thanks for starting out the session so strongly.

Let me first give some context for my remarks. For me at least, the agenda here is to collectively toy with notions that can actually help us develop better conceptual tools. It isn't so much a matter of finding a definition of information that works, that clearly has formal footing. Rather its a game of finding among all the respectable candidates a notion of information that leads us to new theories and insights.

So a good part of the enterprise is deciding what looks good, is defensible and even locally useful, but that doesn't give us the disruptive leverage we want.

At the highest level, I think, there's a decision each of us has to make about the nature of the abstraction space we want to work in. Kauffman is famously on record as believing that the preferred space is algebraic. He goes further in stating that it is the ONLY space, all others illusory, or less fundamental. Without burdening you with that rather indefensible weight, its clear to me that what you have presented is clearly in this camp.

My argument against it cannot be based on any internal inadequacy: algebraic characterizations of the world do work well, well enough to have been seen as the default by many.

But consider some of the objections that Pedro raises. I admire his attention to the more challenging goals, ones I share, even if I get frustrated at how gently he advocates.

Alternatives are to come at this from some similar platform within mathematics, like geometric reasoning (Von Neumann, Einstein) represented here by some of the quantum interaction discussion, set theory where I would place Karl's notions of number-as-indicator, and some of Jerry's notational insights (though they deal with categories as well). Leyton who is sadly absent steps in and out of groups in a clever way that avoids being captured by them. Many of these approaches that are inspired by mathematical mechanisms redefine entropy and/or Shannon.

Then there's a whole wing here that takes information less from the measurement side and more on the causal and builds from the semantic foundations we have. I admire these because they truly do add something new, and present possibilities for enhancing our formal vocabulary. Its a bit distracting that they have to fall back on semiotic or philosophic machinery from time to time, but that's why we've been at this for years, right?

My own preference is to create a new hybrid that has algebraic tools but is not inspired by them, but by the qualities of information that come from the semiotic side, somehow escaping the similarly limiting frameworks there. Loet seems to be starting from here and working with social dynamics. I prefer certain other choices in this, and freely admit they are arbitrary and tentative. (Jerry's preference for syntactically focused language metaphors, narrative dynamics and symmetry operations are all helpful to me.)

Its not my purpose here to argue for them.

I just want to make the establishing point that we are about invention first. And perhaps algebra isn't the best starting place. It takes the notion of "meaning" a bit more funadamentally. Somehow, I think the biologists and chemists may be worth listening to on this, but that may be just a "religious" view. But itdoes seem that this cusp of introspective apparent selfishness implicit in Pedro's and Walter's posts has merit. I read Stanley such that he supports this.

-Ted