Dear Colleagues and Friends,

Pedro's conclusion, which I bring up from the bottom, is, I feel, a good
starting point for further reflections.

 >Somehow we are returning to the beginning of the discussion. I defend
that the limitations of the individual are crucial for the structures
 >and trajectories science has developed historically, and that those
limitations show up not just in an indirect way, maybe in a similar
 >"natural" way to those limitations we encounter ourselves when are
individually producing our meanings inside a network of social
relations. >Following quite many comments during these two months, it
seems that our "categorizations"  (and even logic) are somehow
problematic and >may depend on previous assumptions on very obscure info
matters... Unfortunately I cannot put it better, but the positions on
the >"categorization problem" (category theory?) and the different "info
approaches" look densely interrelated.

It is the logical and categorial underpinning that I feel is causing
some (but not all) of the problems with the discussion. We need some way
of talking better about individual, group and individual-group
interactions where neither the individuals or groups involved are
totally independent entities. Category theory, as it is usually
formulated, is part of the problem because it maintains and even
emphasizes separation rather than relation, and when relations are
included, it is only formally, as abstract machines for moving from one
exclusive category to another. From my standpoint,  information
exchange (between molecules,  cells, people) is relational  and requires
a logic, something like a quantum logic that takes this into account. As
Ladyman and Ross write, in the book that I learned about in this group,
we radically need to change our metaphysics about what a thing is, or
rather is not, and what patterns can be understood as the active
entities of both knowledge and existence.

I'll stop here and wait for comments.

Best wishes,

Joe