At 10:35 AM 9/18/2008, Joseph Brenner wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>You may have discussed this question before I joined the group, and
>I am not proposing it as a discussion topic. I would just like to
>know which of the two following sequences is currently generally
>preferred or accepted, and if the answer is important:
>
>a) knowledge is organized information; meaning is knowledge with
>social or psychological value to an individual or social system.
>b) meaning is information with economic or social value; knowledge
>is meaning that plays a functional role ("makes a difference") in a
>social system.

Joseph,

It seems to me that both are clearly false. First of all, the idea of
false information is an oxymoron, but b) allows this as far as I can
see. Second, meaning can exist without a true reference, but
knowledge has to be true, but this contradicts a.

Perhaps you can clarify what you intended.

John