Dear John and colleagues,

Thanks a lot for adding deep thought to my comments. I quite agree with
your orientations and would make only a few further remarks.

1. Going beyond the equilibrium approaches of neoclassical economics is
fundamental. I would bring here the points developed by the Santa Fe
group of economists and physicists last decade (Brian Arthur and
others): dispersed interactive agents, no global controller, cross level
hierarchical organization, continual adaptation, perpetual novelty, and
out of equilibrium dynamics.  Overall, they talked on the economy as
another instance of "adaptive nonlinear networks". But my personal
impression is that these very theoretical views were in themselves
inspirational for promoting further deregulation of financial markets
(Stu Kauffman and others were quite close to Al Gore and the Whitehouse
circles). The invisible hand of selforganization!

2. Perhaps more foundational aspects have to be revised: value itself,
plus the way transactions are produced (Lanham 2006 has posited a very
bold view: we would trade informational "motives"...). A new theory on
price formation could be more or less envisioned. But I would be more
staunch on following the inspiration of biological schemes of
organization to put into place "anticipatory dynamics" (not to be
understood necessarily under dynamic systems theory). ATP energy
currency plus the system of second messengers contain very curious
systemic thresholds which the living cell has never crossed.

3. If the following figures (just from my memory) are correct, financial
anticipatory flows have grown dramatically in last two decades, from
around 4 times the GDP (80's), to 10 times (90's), and close to 20 in
last years. Unknown thresholds have been trespassed,  and the capability
to destructively amplify any serious fluctuation from real economy is
daunting. The Energy crisis, plus the housing crisis, plus the mass of
faulty credits in circulation have put on the knees both the real
economy and the whole financial anticipatory wrappings. The inevitable
closure of the financial on the real, and vice versa,  means that the
social "viscosity" of the system --our very lives-- will be put on a
very tough stance. Is this but an anticipation of the even bigger global
sustainability crisis?

best regards

Pedro