Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:28:54 -0400
To: christophe.men...@hotmail.fr
From: ssal...@binghamton.edu
Subject: Re: [Fis] FW: Denumerability of information (II)

For your interest, I think you are tending towards semiotics -- in particular,
Biosemiotics.  You could look at the web pages of the Biosemiotics journal.

STAN

Dear all,
Comments from Michel and Rafael bring up an aspect of the proposal that has
perhaps been underestimated. It is the interpretation of information which
generates its content, its meaning. From "Information in cells" to "information
for cells" we precisely have the interpretating function where an agent creates
meaning for its own usage. Different agents generate different meanings. And
information in antennas is not for antennas as they contain no interpretating
function.
Can the paragraph "Semantics" cover this point? Perhaps, but I'm not sure that
"semantics for bioinformation" is currently used.
The concept of interpretation looks to me as key when talking about information
in agents. If the proposal takes it into account from a different perspective,
perhaps it would be worth expliciting it.
Best regards

Christophe

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:57:53 +0200
> From: pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es
> To: fis@listas.unizar.es
> Subject: [Fis] Denumerability of information (II)
>

> (message II, responses from Díaz Nafría and Rafael Capurro)

> Dear Michel:
>
> Thank you for your good remarks. I agree about both. Of course, data
> banks may be considered in the list. In any case, that list should be
> too long if it were exhaustive. That is to say, "Š" concern to a much
> larger list that the enunciated one (and considering length I may say
> that there were only 10000 character left to fulfil the "text of
> proposal" and we use them all). Anyway, data banks are certainly a
> relevant case so they will be mentioned in next submissions.
>
> About (2), I remember the controversy which arose from a question you
> stated in December -I think-. I also keep in mind the interesting
> answer from Rafael. I wrote him some remarks about the controversy. I
> will try to find them to give you my point of view about that
> interesting question.
>
> Grateful and cordial greetings,
>
> José María Díaz Nafría

> Dear Michel and all,
>
> yes, the formulation "there is information in cells..." could be
> misleading as it means, IMO, there is information "for" cells or
> messages that cells are able to process "as" information, i.e., through
> a process of selection and integration "in" them according to their
> specific way of life. What is stored in data banks is in fact not
> information but potential information for a system capable of
> understanding or "processing" it. The question of numerability is one
> possible framework of interpretation which means particularly since
> modern science, that "we" think we understand something as far as we are
> able to interpret it as countable using particularly digital media. In
> the 19th century this framework was mainly related to "matter" (what is
> not "material" is not understandable). Of course different frameworks or
> (metaphysical) "paradigms" compete with each other unless they are
> viewed as the only "true" ones... And: they have consequences for
> society, politics etc. as we can see everyday
>
> kind regards
>
> Rafael

Votre correspondant a choisi Hotmail et profite d'un stockage quasiment
illimité. Créez un compte Hotmail gratuitement !