Thanks, Christophe.

These days I am involved in a paper on "prokaryotic intelligence", and
have laterally approached the problem of cellular meaning. I am copying
a fragment below (not corrected yet). Rosen's "impredicativity" looks to
me an important concept to clarify things. However, rather than
establishing it based on dynamic, open systems (boundary conditions) as
he does, I would join Michael Conrad's viewss, in that protein folding
and unpicturability of enzyme function are the deep causes of factual
impredicativity in living cells... but perhaps my Conradian
interpretation is forced.

Anyhow, the overall idea may be that the "signal" becomes "symmetry
breaking" for the cell, and the elaboration of meaning becomes "symmetry
restoration".

best ---Pedro

------------------------------------

"...Along this view, living cells are enacting a new way of existence,
an active “informational” one that is based on the capability to keep
the own structures in a permanent state of flow. Cells would respond to
signals from the environment, and produce the “meaning” they imply, by
letting the signals themselves interfere with the ongoing molecular
dynamics of the cellular self-production flow. Completion of the cell
cycle would always appear as the fundamental reference... And on the
other side, the/ impredicative /nature of biological information has to
be taken into account (Rosen, 1993). It conduces to realizing that the
information processing of living cells is not of the same class than the
processes of formal, predicative nature (computation). Rather,
biomolecular processing is a “tactilizing” phenomenon based on a myriad
of specific “molecular recognition” events (Conrad, 1998; Marijuán,
2003); and there is no syntactic procedure or amount of computation that
can fill in the modelling gap, in formal terms, between the sequences
found in genomes and the emergent dynamics of protein & enzyme & RNA
networks. The degree to which biological complexity can be efficiently
fathomed in computational terms is a highly debatable question; it has
also practical implications regarding the mentioned integration of
signaling processes within the life cycle, and the cut-offs and
trade-offs to establish in the models. Whatever the modelling option,
the "real" biomolecular elaboration of meaning in the living cell and in
the living brain would always keep the upper hand of complexity with
respect any syntactic, computational procedures..."