Pedro --

OK Stan, but can you apply those "propositional" (human) modifications also to
bacteria, fish, (human) enterprise or institution, society

otherwise I am affraid you move only in the anthropocentric realm.

best   ---Pedro

      We can certainly note that 'knowing that' is a linguistic exercise -- a
mater
of text, diagrams, equations and explanations.  These belong to institutions,
society, and are loaned to human individuals.  'Knowing how', on the other
hand, following Snowdon

P. Snowdon: 2008,  Knowing how and knowing that: a distinction reconsidered.
Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society 104: pp. 1-29.

is knowhow, and possibly not a form of knowing as much as a mode of doing.
In living systems, as Bill Hall points out, it can be thought of as naturally
selected predispositions passed on from generation to generation.  We could
also, if we like, take the view that knowing how was gained by chemical
entities
early in the Big Bang.  All of this relates as well to Charles Peirce's very
general
metaphysical position that all systems 'take habits''.

STAN

ssal...@binghamton.edu escribió:
Pedro -- I think one point of clarity might be raised here.  Is the concern
with
knowing how

or with

knowing that?

The difference can be appreciated when considering that we may know how to
ride a bicycle, but we could not explain, or write down, how we do it.

STAN