Dear Bill and colleagues,

The distinction between agents evolving or communications can be made
without accepting Luhmann's more far-reaching claims. It enables us to
understand why cultural phenomena based on interhuman communications exhibit
a dynamic so differently from biological phenomena. For example, a
constitution enables us to distinguish how to organize political
communication differently from exchange processes on the market
(negotiations) or religious communication.

Scientific communication -- discourse -- is part and parcel of this cultural
evolution process. The discourse enables us to entertain models at the
supra-individual level. Systems which can entertain models can be considered
as anticipatory (Rosen, 1985). While the social network among us has one
more degree of freedom than we individually, the anticipation can be modeled
as hyper-incursive: the strongly anticipatory system not only entertains a
model of itself, but it is also able to co-construct its future state
because of a potential feedback from the modelling system onto the modeled
one (Dubois, 1998).

Of course, we (as agents) remain a necessary condition like in the case of
structural coupling (Maturana & Varela; Luhmann). However, we are not only
structurally coupled as systems (like ants to the antshill), but also in
terms of how we communicate, that is, provide meaning to the uncertainty.
The communications among us can be reflected by each of us, and each of our
utterances and understanding can be reflected at the level of the network in
a semiosis. The network can reflect these contributions using codes of
communications. These codes of communications are not given (as in nature),
but remain culturally constructed and therefore anticipatory, that is,
advanced as intentions from the perspective of the present.

This model enriches our capacity to understand social and cultural phenomena
beyond the biological domain. Questions about how an economy or society can
be knowledge-based can be addressed because knowledge cannot only be defined
with reference to individual (rational?) actors, but also with reference to
interhuman communications which can be more or less informed and meaningful.

I hope that this contributes. It is more or less an invitation to entertain
a hypothesis. The philosophical source is not Luhmann, but Husserl.

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
l...@leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/