I completely agree John, remembering also that Hermes is the messenger
of the gods and message "containing" information is the phenomenon with
a Janus-face since both "sides" (the sender and the receiver) are in a
heteronomic situation towards each other. best Rafael

> Joseph,
>
> You wrote: <I feel my orginal question, about differences of kind or
> "valence" of information has not been addressed>
>
> Your point about valence and the negative and positive faces of
> information is an intriguing question. In a sense each time we use the
> word itself we are invoking the Greek god of information, Hermes - the
> deity of information, language, writing and messages but also of
> deception, thieving and money. The information/misinformation
> complementarity is unavoidable. A strictly verifactory account (like
> Floridi's infosphere) ignores the Janus-like character of the
> phenomenon in science society and mythology. This ambiguity has
> persisted throughout the history of the concept as defined by the
> major players (e.g. Aquinas's informed intellect (intellectus
> agens/intellectus possibilis) Bacon's 'information of the
> senses/information of the understanding' , Peirces' definition of
> information as 'inferencing and imagination', the Shannon entropy
> versus Norbert Wiener's negentropy). Spin, camouflage, theatre,
> illusion seem to be an intrinsic component of  informational experience.
>
> We await the new discipline of Informational Anthropology to explore
> what Soren Brier calls 'information man'. In fact we probably need a
> whole new academy, an Infoversity (possibly run along the lines of the
> European Graduate School), which explores information as central to
> all the disciplines (rather than just as an extracurricular activity
> of the cognoscenti).
>
> I would certainly welcome a future FIS session on Information Language
> and Communication where we could investigate these connections in a
> more focused way. Bob Logan's excellent paper he circulated recently
> might be a good starting point. Pedro?
>
> Best
>
> John H
>

> *On Mon Nov 16 0:34 , "Joseph Brenner" sent:
>
> *
>

>     Dear FIS Colleagues,
>
>     I hope that some of you, at least, are as interested as I am by
>     the shift in topic from "Assymetry of Information" to "Information
>     as Assymetry" that has taken place. As far as the latter is
>     concerned, I now know much more about the contribution of Leyton
>     and others, its historical development, etc.
>
>     However, despite some references to game theory and decision
>     theory, I feel my orginal question, about differences of kind or
>     "valence" of information has not been addressed. In real systems,
>     especially social systems, much of the information transferred is
>     not neutral, but comes in two main flavors, call them optimistic
>     and pessimistic if you prefer. (Both are "real"; John Collier's
>     questioning of the existence of "negative" information in
>     his sense is appropriate).
>
>     Perhaps this is a trivial distinction; perhaps its existence,
>     and its consequences, are not.
>
>     Thank you and best wishes,
>
>     Joseph

Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro
Hochschule der Medien (HdM), Germany
Director, Steinbeis-Transfer-Institute Information Ethics (STI-IE), Germany
Information Ethics Senior Fellow, 2009-2010, Center for Information Policy
Research, School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, USA
Distinguished Researcher in Information Ethics, School of Information Studies,
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, USA
Postal Address: Redtenbacherstr. 9, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
E-Mail: raf...@capurro.de
Voice: + 49 - 721 - 98 22 9 - 22 (Fax: -21)
Homepage: www.capurro.de
STI-IE: http://sti-ie.de
ICIE: http://icie.zkm.de
IRIE: http://www.i-r-i-e.net