  From: Christophe Menant
  To: fis@listas.unizar.es
  Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 9:30 AM
  Subject: Re: [Fis] Asymetry and Information: A modest proposal

  Dear all,
  As the notion of information is again (and interestingly) put on the
forefront, let’s not forget the evolutionary approach that naturally introduces
the notion of meaning and allows to bring in a system oriented perspective.
  Assuming we put aside the reason of being of the universe, there is no entity
to care about information before the coming up of life on earth.
  Information is a notion that we humans have invented as a set of tools to
help the understanding and managing of our world. And animals also manage
information.
  A basic tool is the measurement of the quantity of information with the
Shannon transmission capacity of a channel, whatever the meaning of the
information being transmitted thru the channel.
  The meaning of an information can be called many names: content, purpose,
aboutness, goal, target, sense, aim, …
  As already presented in the FIS discussions, I feel that the meaning of
information (whatever it’s naming) exists because there is a system that needs
this meaning, a system that creates this meaning or uses it in order to satisfy
a constraint. The system being an animal, a human or an artificial system. The
constraints guiding the meaning generation can be very many. Constraints are
then organic (stay alive, maintain the species, …), human (valorise ego, look
for happiness, …), artificial (obey a process, …). And following such an
approach allows to model meaning generation by a simple system usable for
animals and humans and robots (1), (2).
  This does not pretend answering all the questions related to the complex
subject of meaningful information, but it introduces that needed notion in
simple terms.
  All the best
  Christophe
  (1) http://cogprints.org/6279/2/MGS.pdf