Dear Joseph - once again your post was most stimulating, provocative and enjoyable. Kolmogorov's definition of information that you quote is most interesting but like Shannon's definition incorporates the notion that information is a quantitative concept that can be measured. The Bateson definition that you refer to was a critique of this notion of information as a quantitative measure. The criticism began with MacKay (1969 Information, Mechanism and Meaning. Cambridge MA: MIT Press.) who wrote "Information is a distinction that makes a difference" which Bateson (1973 Steps to an Ecology of Mind. St. Albans: Paladin Frogmore.) then built on to come up with the more popular: "Information is a difference that makes a difference". MacKay was the first to critique Shannon's quantitative definition of information when Shannon wrote his famous definition: "We have represented a discrete information source as a Markoff process. Can we define a quantity, which will measure, in some sense, how much information is ‘produced’ by such a process, or better, at what rate information is produced?" – Shannon (1948 . A mathematical theory of communication. Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 27, pp. 379-423 and 623-656, July and October, 1948.)

According to Claude Shannon (1948, p. 379) his definition of information is not connected to its meaning. Weaver concurred in his introduction to Shannon’s A Mathematical Theory of Communication when he wrote: “Information has ‘nothing to do with meaning’ although it does describe a ‘pattern’." Shannon also suggested that information in the form of a message often contains meaning but that meaning is not a necessary condition for defining information. So it is possible to have information without meaning, whatever that means.

Not all of the members of the information science community were happy with Shannon’s definition of information. Three years after Shannon proposed his definition of information Donald Mackay (1951) at the 8th Macy Conference argued for another approach to understanding the nature of information. The highly influential Macy Conferences on cybernetics, systems theory, information and communications were held from 1946 to 1953 during which Norbert Wiener’s newly minted cybernetic theory and Shannon’s information theory were discussed and debated with a fascinating interdisciplinary team of scholars which also included Warren McCulloch, Walter Pitts, Gregory Bateson, Margaret Mead, Heinz von Foerster, Kurt Lewin and John von Neumann. MacKay argued that he did not see “too close a connection between the notion of information as we use it in communications engineering and what [we] are doing here… the problem here is not so much finding the best encoding of symbols… but, rather, the determination of the semantic question of what to send and to whom to send it.” He suggested that information should be defined as “the change in a receiver’s mind-set, and thus with meaning” and not just the sender’s signal (Hayles 1999b, p. 74). The notion of information independent of its meaning or context is like looking at a figure isolated from its ground. As the ground changes so too does the meaning of the figure.

The last two paragraphs are an excerpt from my new book What is Information? to be published by the University of Toronto Press in late 2010 or early 2011. Your post Joseph has stimulated the following thoughts that I hope to add to my new book before it is typeset.

As MacKay and Bateson have argued there is a qualitative dimension to information not captured by the Shannon Weaver quantitative model nor by Kolmogorov's definition. Information is multidimensional. There is a quantitative dimension as captured by Shannon and Kolmogorov and a qualitative one of meaning as captured by MacKay and Bateson but one can think of other dimensions as well. In responding to a communication by Joseph Brenner on the Foundations of Information (FIS) listserv I described the information that he communicated as stimulating, provocative and enjoyable. Brenner cited the following Kolmogorov definition of information as “any operator which changes the distribution of probabilities in a given set of events.” Brenner's information changed the distribution of my mental events to one of stimulation, provocation and enjoyment and so there is something authentic that this definition of Kolmogorov captures that his earlier cited definition of information as "the minimum computational resources needed to describe a program or a text" does not. We therefore conclude that not only is there a relativistic component to information but it is also multidimensional and not uni- dimensional as is the case with Shannon information.

Joseph - many thanks for your stimulating post - I look forward to your comments on this riff on your thoughts. - Bob

Robert K. Logan
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
www.physics.utoronto.ca/Members/logan