Steven --

      One perspective on this might be found in:
Frautschi, S. (1982) “Entropy in an expanding universe”.  Science 217,
593-599.
Frautschi, S. (1988) “Entropy in an expanding universe.” in B.H. Weber, D.J.
Depew  and J.D. Smith, eds.  Entropy, Information and Evolution.
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
And
Landsberg, P.T. (1984)  Can entropy and “order” increase together?  Physics
 Letters 102A, 171-173.
And
Layzer, D. 1977. Information in cosmology, physics and biology. International
Journal of Quantum Chemistry 12 (supplement 1) 185-195.

     Basically, in an expanding or growing system much entropy production is
mediated by information AND creates more information while doing it.

STAN