-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto:         [Fis] replying to Kevin and to Joseph
Fecha:  Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:14:50 -0700
De:     Guy A Hoelzer <hoel...@unr.edu>
Para:   Pedro Clemente Marijuan Fernandez <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>
CC:     Stanley N. Salthe <ssal...@binghamton.edu>

Stan et al.,

I certainly understand that the meaning of a bit of information would typically change as it percolates across levels of organization. Higher level entities are, indeed, different entities from their lower level components; hence, they were have independent perceptions. I also understand how information can be transformed as it passes between levels. Your example is a good one. However, I do not see why information must universally be transformed when it crosses levels of organization. Why couldn’t there be instances where information is passed between levels without ‘mediation’?

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr. Guy A. Hoelzer, Chair Phone: 775-784-4860
Department of Biology, MS 314 Fax: 775-784-1302