Fra: fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es [mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es] På
vegne af Loet Leydesdorff
Sendt: 4. november 2010 15:32
Til: 'Stanley N Salthe'; fis@listas.unizar.es
Emne: Re: [Fis] Fwd: [Fwd: Discussion Colophon] From J.Brenner

Dear Joe, Stan, and colleagues,

It occurred to me that this is in a certain sense a repeat of the
nominalism/realism discussion. With his heavy emphasis on being/not-being, Joe
is on the realist side, while Stan's qualia are nominalistic. I assume that
they don't dwell around like the Greek Gods, but are reflexive constructs
shaped in scholarly discourse that clarifies them. This discussion makes also
clear to me why Joe's approach is called "Logic in Reality" and not "Reality in
Logic". Eventually, the grounding has a direction.

I would consider the vagueness as tangential to the scholarly discourse; the
external referent. The further specification - the updating of hypotheses -
enables us to define new puzzles and thus perhaps to improve the specification.
This reality (as cogitatum part of res cogitans) cannot be captured with
derivatives from "esse". One would need derivatives from "frangere" - fractals,
fragments, fragile - for the understanding. The models remain volatile albeit
more symbolically generalized than common language.

With best wishes,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
l...@leydesdorff.net <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/