Dear Krassimir,

It seems important to me to distinguish between beliefs and scientific
communications. Beliefs can be attributed to agents or groups of agents
(such as communities and churches). Of course, scientific communities can
also be delineated in terms of beliefs they share. Scientific
communications, however, can circulate and uncouple from the original
communicators. The communications are specifically coded. These
(symbolically generalized) codes of communication are attributes to the
communications and not to the communicators. At this level, scientific
communications can be distinguished from religious communications (such as,
for example, the Gospel).

Much of the confusion nowadays about creationism and intellectual design is
generated by insufficiently making these distinctions. The sciences, on the
one side, can function as belief systems, but the more interesting
perspective is the one of considering them as systems of rationalized
expectations. These rationalized expectations are carried not by individual
agents or collectives, but by scholarly discourses – i.e. communication
systems. In pre-modern systems (such as for example the Church before the
Reformation) this differentiation between the different codes of
communication and the integration into one (Christian) community was
foregrounded.

Interestingly, for example, Galilei argued against the cardinals that his
insights were not only hypotheses, but true. In the 17th century one wished
to consider natural philosophy to be consistent with religion.
Epistemologically, I would nowadays side with the cardinals. J Only they
have the “truth” in stock.

Best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
 <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> l...@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/