Dear FIS colleagues,

One of the aspects of the discussion started by James concerns the medieval achievements on collective or social intelligence, so to speak. I mean, we can see how the crucial civil institutions for the emergence of modern societies in the Western world were started around this period: universities, corporations, urban & merchant & labor democratic councils, pluralism of hierarchies, liberal arts & mechanical arts, common language and culture for science and scholarship... From the point of view of "social information science" a deeper understanding is needed on what kind of processes made some cultures start up an open-ended process of transformation while others were left in stagnation or in decline.

Thus the medieval paradigm needs a more rigorous historical and informational analysis than the worn cliches of "dark" "backwarded" and the like. The contrast with our own times may be quite interesting. Social collective intelligence of our times is far below the performances of technological and scientific systems ---up to the obvious point that planetary or civilized survival is far from granted. The medievals had "Liberal Arts" (Trivium and Quadrivium), and "Mechanical Arts"; we have hundreds, thousands of techno-scientific and humanistic disciplines. But societies can hardly increase their collective wisdom, improve their "knowledge recombination". As very often argued in this list, it is a whole conceptual chain we do not make much sense yet: information, knowledge, intelligence, knowledge integration ... Is there anything to learn about contemporary knowledge recombination from the backwarded medievals? I think so! ........

In a different matter, people waiting for more down to earth discussions will be happy to know the prospects for next discussion sessions: _on information theory_ (chaired by Mark Burgin); _chemical information_ (chaired by Michel Petitjean), and _social information science_ (chaired by Xueshan Yan). So we will be busy for quite months ahead --and of course, further suggestions for topics will be very welcome, please send them to me, better off line. Hopefully in next weeks there will be good news on the poignant problem that Joseph was kindly pointing at: the necessity of a properly organized repository for our conversations.

best wishes

---Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán Grupo de Bioinformación / Bioinformation Group
Avda. Gómez Laguna, 25, Pl. 11ª
50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Telf: 34 976 71 3526 (& 6818) Fax: 34 976 71 5554
pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es